Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Ocean


While growing up in CA, I took for granted how easily accessible the Pacific Ocean was to where I lived.  It was at the most a half hour to forty five minute drive.  After I got my driver's license, when upset, I would go for a drive to the Santa Cruz area or further south to the Monterey area, just to watch the waves or walk along the beach.  Overcast days when the ocean was turbulent, were when I felt most strongly the presence of something larger than myself.

I now live in a land locked state.  There are lakes yes, but there's something about the power of the ocean that just makes one feel the omnipotence of the Creator.  The blues and the greens all mixing together to produce a palette that is soothing to the spirit.  The deafening sound of the waves roaring and crashing against the shore on a stormy day.  The mist spraying as it hits the rocks.  The smell of salt and seaweed mixed into the air.  The cry of the various seabirds as they fly overhead.  On the clear days, the waves will just roll in and hit against the shore, not necessarily quietly but with a powerful calmness that still makes you take notice.

I can, and have stood there for what seemed like an eternity just closing my eyes and listening to the sound of the ocean, letting a feeling of peaceful awe wash over me.  Letting the sounds and sights calm my restless spirit and remind me of how insignificant our place in this world really is, but how terribly blessed we are to share it with all the wonders around us.

When I'm near the ocean, I feel the connection between all of nature including the connection of man in the circle.  The ocean reminds me that it can survive without humans being there, but we can't survive without the oceans.  The symbionic flow between the land, the sky above and the ocean below is what keeps our planet temperate enough to allow all life to flourish in whatever form that is.

To me the saddest thing to listen to are those humans who have the audacity to think that we are destroying the Earth.  We aren't killing the earth.  The Earth will not die if we keep doing what we are doing to it.  WE will die if we keep doing what we are doing, (it's just easier to promote if there is the guilt produced by the thought of killing something else).  By taking for granted that if we destroy the air quality, if we destroy the water quality, we will destroy other creatures as well as the vegetation, and then when they die, we will die.  It's plain and simple.  But the thing is that after we die, the Earth would heal itself.  The Earth will have time to adapt and incorporate all our damage into the cycle of things and the Earth will go on.

We only have to look at the many sites around the world of lost civilizations, and the damages they created in nature around them.  Once those civilizations died off, moved away, or were killed by others, the cities where they once thrived were made part of nature again.  Those cities became home to the animals once more.  They were left alone and unmolested and were able to thrive once more, without help from the humans.  Maybe it's my Cherokee heritage or that of my Celtic lineage that I notice these things.  That I'm able to realize that if one part of the circle is broken then it is no longer a circle and we are all at risk for extinction.

It was either the cry of seagulls that I heard or the watching of the movie Avatar that brought on these thoughts.  It's not bad or negative, it's just thought provoking at how one group of meglomaniacs can think they are above nature and create such havoc and chaos.  Even though in a movie they show things in a condensed form and the invaders usually lose, real life doesn't work that fast, but in the end it will be Nature who will win because Nature has nothing but time.

No comments:

Post a Comment